Do I Need a Building Permit?

A building permit MUST BE purchased from the Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services District for the following construction projects:

Expanding a building or a structure, including adding habitable space, garages, carports decks and roof projections.Altering a building or structure by remodeling to include adding, altering or deleting interior walls, finishing rooms or areas previously unfinished (including basements), changing the use of a room or area, and altering the slope of the roof through a roof conversion.
Building any detached structures such as garages, barns, tool and storage sheds, playhouses, pool or hot tub enclosures, and similar uses where the structure exceeds 200 square feet (120 square feet commercial).Adding any structure, regardless of size, if adding or modifying the plumbing, mechanical or electrical all require a permit.
Constructing retaining walls that are taller than four feet, measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall. Changing or lowering kitchen cabinets and countertops (creates plumbing and electrical concerns.)
Adding, deleting or altering any existing plumbing fixture to accommodate more (or less) plumbing fixtures)Adding, deleting or altering any electrical circuits.
Altering the existing electrical service equipment (the meter) or any electrical panels.Adding any electrical appliances that are considered a fixed installation, and are not replacing similar appliances.
Installing or replacing a furnace, water heater, boiler, air conditioner, evaporative cooler, heat pump or baseboard heating element.Installing or replacing any fireplace (wood or gas) or wood stove.
Adding, deleting or altering any ductwork for the heating or cooling system.Installing hot tubs, jacuzzis, saunas or spas.
Window replacement.Reroof or reshingle.
Replacing siding or stucco.

You do NOT need a building permit  for the following construction projects:

Replacing defective plumbing fixtures with equivalent fixtures.Replacing electrical lights and receptacles with equivalent devices.
Building a deck or platform that is less than 18 inches above the adjoining ground, under 200 square feet and is not attached to the dwelling.  Note: The location of the structure still requires approval from the Planning / Zoning Division 385-468-6700. Building a detached accessory structure that is less than 200 square feet in floor area (120 square feet commercial), only one story in height without any plumbing, mechanical or electrical. Note: The location of the structure still requires approval from the Planning / Zoning Division 385-468-6700.
Erecting a fence that is no more than seven feet in height, measured from adjoining grade; includes wood, concrete, masonry and plastic fences.Driveways and patios without roof coverings are exempt from permit requirements. Note: Altering the public sidewalk, curb and gutter, or driveway approach requires a permit from the Salt Lake County Public Works Department prior to construction or demolition 385-468-6623.